ELECTRICAL GROUNDING OF ESD FLOORS
For use with ElectraGuard, ElectraSeal, ESD Vinyl Floor Tiles, ESD Carpet Tiles and Sheet Vinyl
Our ESD epoxy floor paints, esd concrete sealers, esd tiles and carpeting must be grounded to allow the electrostatic potential to flow to ground. In some cases this grounding takes place when the conductive flooring comes into contact with the steel columns protrusions of the building superstructure. The following method provides a more secure connection via easy attachment of your ESD flooring system to AC electrical ground.
MOST COMMON METHOD:
1) Locate AC power outlet. Remove electrical face plate cover (typically plastic). Starting at the outlet cutout (on the drywall) run a piece of our 2" wide aluminum foil ground tape down wall and onto clean dust free concrete (or other flooring substrate) for about 2 or 3 inches. Note: for a great looking attachment cut any wall base, peel back base and run strip behind re-glued base.
2) Run another aluminum foil strip (approximately 6" to 12” long) over this 2" or 3" piece that you've placed on the floor. Run this strip parallel to the wall and adhere to the flooring substrate (concrete, VCT, etc). Please see figure 1.
3) Lightly sand the foil on the floor with 320 grit emery paper or course scotch bright. Remove abrasive residue with a clean piece of paper towel. Paint over this strip with a thin layer of ElectraGuard ESD epoxy, ElectraSeal or cover with conductive flooring adhesive.
4) Replace plastic AC electrical face plate cover with a metal face plate cover making sure metal face plate cover contacts the aluminum strip. Please see figure 2.
5) Your floor is now grounded. The ground foil on the wall may be painted if desired.
The way it works: The electrostatic charge flows across and through the flooring to the aluminum strip placed parallel to the wall. The Electrostatic charge flows up the strip (placed on the wall) through the metal face plate cover and to the buildings electrical ground system via the center screw of the AC electrical face plate cover.
For DOD and Munitions Application use one copper or steel 6" x 6" ground plate per 1000 square feet bolted to the top surface of the pre-sealed coating and attached to the appropriate grounding location as is indicated by your internal specifications.
Note: For the majority of applications ElectraGuard only requires 2 ground connections for small floors (under 3,000 sf) and one additional ground for every 3,000 sf thereafter. More grounding attachments will not raise the conductivity of your flooring system.
© 1994-2016 All rights Reserved
This page last Updated on